Monday, December 21, 2009

Myron Rolle on the "Rhode"

Myron Rolle Pictures, Images and Photos

For those of you who don't recognize the name, you should really get to know it. For those that don't know, Myron Rolle is a former Florida State Seminole cornerback and current Rhoad scholar studying at Oxford. I know that his decision to go to Oxford is relatively old news, but I read a Wall Street Journal article on him I thought I should pass along. The article talks about what he's doing, how he is planning on making some money prior to the NFL and what he thinks of the people who don't agree with his decision to bypass the NFL.

He decided to not enter the NFL Draft last year and spend this year as a Rhode Scholar and study and travel Europe. Rolle graduated from FSU in under three years and is now pursuing an M.A. in medical anthropology. He is an interesting story and a true dual-threat, being a beast on the field and even better in the classroom.

What I love about this kid is that he truly doesn't care what anyone thinks. He's had many former teammates, classmates and coaches who have questioned his decision to hold off on the NFL, but he could care less what they think. "Cool is my own definition of cool," he says. "That's what's important. Cool to me is getting straight A's. Cool to me is scoring three touchdowns. Cool to me is shaking the hand of our mayor," he said. "Cool to me is helping out at the nursing home. Cool to me is playing in the jazz band, and playing the lead role in 'Fiddler on the Roof.' I like to define my own path and my own journey." he said in the Wall Street Journal article. The guy is truly a role model and trailblazer, kudos Myron.

LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment